Saturday, October 22, 2011

Crunch Factor 10


So lately I have become a little bit more green, crunchy, granola, whatever you want to call it.  I am not an all or nothing type of person, so while I am excited about some of the things I have made or some of the changes I have implemented, this is by no means a promise to stick to them.  My persistence and follow through on all things trendy is not really one of my strong suits. So here are some things I have done to save the earth, our family, and our money.  Humility is also not a strong suit.

In the shower:
-I tried giving up shampoo and rocking the baking soda.  Didn't work for me.  Any other suggestions as I would like to rid my house of shampoo?
-Soap-Bronners all natural castile soap. I use this on my body and my face.  I used to think I had hard to manage skin, but since giving up face soap, I have actually had less problems.
-Body-  My mom makes a sugar body scrub with olive oil, honey, essential oil, and sugar.  I use this on occasion.
-Coconut Oil = My new moisturizer for my face and body, as well as my conditioner.

In the cleaning bucket:
-Homemade laundry detergent.  Recipe taken from this website. http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/  I liked number 8 the best so far.
-After I rid myself of plastic Tupperware I am going to move to homemade dishwasher powder.  It doesn't clean plastic as well.
-I clean with a lot of baking soda and vinegar.

In the home:
-We buy used furniture.  To save money and the rain forest.  We then refinish said furniture when we want something different, and I make my own pillows and decor when I am in need of a decorative change.
-Sometimes I buy soy candles when the price is right.  I don't know if this saves anything.


In the belly:
-I try to buy organic food, especially things where we eat the peel.  Granted, this is not always in the budget.  I also try to eat a lot less processed food, meat, and dairy. But keep in mind that I love McDonalds.  Like I said, moderation.  It's hard to keep my McDonalds lovin' in moderation when they come out with this:
Taffy apple sundae.  Really?  Jerks.
-I also try to buy local when it is an option.

Things I would like to try:
-Juicing.  Documentaries ruin my life.  Thanks to documentary, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," I am completely sold on the nutritious value of juicing.
-Try to completely give up meat and dairy.  Not for forever, but I really don't think there is a ton of nutrition there and the cost to produce it seems to be more than what it is worth to me.
-Buy all organic and local.  When I'm rich.
-Give up all processed sugar.  (This will most likely never happen if you know me).
-Eat only locally grown and raised food.  This would be hard.
-When we buy a house I would like to make it energy efficient.
-I might cloth diaper my baby's bum in the future.  Don't judge.
-I also might make some of my own baby clothes.
-In the summer I plan on composting with my garden.

So there are my lofty goals that may or may not ever happen.  Does anyone else have any good body, planet, or money saving tips?  Do tell!


1 comment:

  1. Cloth diapering is awesome and growing in popularity. I did it out of need because my girls are allergic to disposables. But now, I wonder why more people do not do it. It honestly is simple. The old fashioned diapers with pins and leaky covers are gone. My diapers go on like disposables. So whenever you have a baby do not let anyone talk you out of it! The start up cost is high but in the long run you save a ton. It cost me $400 or less to diaper two kids. Not bad considering some of my friend's spend that after 6 to 8 months of using disposables!

    ReplyDelete